Four Reasons


Spring


Summer

Fall


Winter

Violin has been apart of my life since the age of six. I was apart of many cometitive classical music groups and really saw this as the way my life was headed, but upon highschool agraduation, for the sake of preserving this art form as a way for me to escape when things were stressful or just as something I really enjoy, I decided not to apply to music school. I have been trying to reshape my identity in a way, though that seems dramatic, since this was a very large part of my life that woudl probably nenver be as much of a part of my life again as it had been. The piece is about process, it is about how in working towards goals we, or I, often forget to look at the little parts inbetween the end result -- like tuning. We expect a piece to end up as close to perfection as it can be in classical music, so that it seems effortless, even though maybe tears were shed or blisters were formed, or you scremed and packed up out of frustration. We never see the process in concert, since the goal is to eliminate the process in many ways.
This first video is my favorite, since this is the last place I would think I might tune, and the fact that I was over water and fearful for my instrument reflected my nervousness in a normal performance. The second (summer) is the performance in which I feel is most artistic and complete, I really had the process of performing down in this one. And the third (fall) is my next favorite, I really liked the sound I got in this one, its tiny and reflects the environment. Winter is ok, I would have liked to have been in a longer hall to have better captured the environment.
I was going to compile all of these together to create my own interpretation of Four Seasons by Vivaldi as one whole pice, but I think that each of them stand better by themselves as separate movements. Vivaldi's four seasons has four movements to it (spring, summer, fall, winter) and I felt that this reflected my phases of my relationship to violin.

Comments

Popular Posts